Innovative M.Ed. in Secondary Education
An advanced degree in secondary education gives you the opportunity to further your career as an expert in your field.
Secondary Education (M.Ed.) with Class B Certification
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) with Class B Certification is a 30 hour, non-content specific, Master of Education that leads to a Class B, 6-12 Certificate reflecting the bachelor level content area. The degree prepares those individuals who do not have a prior background or teaching certificate in education, but who hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a content field. Many of the courses are offered online or with options for meeting online or on campus. When completed as a cohort beginning each summer semester, students may progress through the program in three semesters. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class B, 6-12 Certificate for their content area (General Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Language Arts, Social Sciences, Foreign Language: Spanish, Foreign Language: German, and Foreign Language: French).
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in General Science Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Mathematics Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Language Arts Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Social Studies Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Spanish Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in French Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in German Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Physics Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Chemistry Course of Study
M.Ed. with Class B Certification in Biology Course of Study
- Application and all supporting documents must be received prior to the semester of entry deadline. Application and semester deadlines are available at http://www.southalabama.edu/admissions.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended since high school, regardless of whether credit was earned.
- A grade-point average of at least 2.50 (A=4.0) and an academic major in the teaching field documented on the official transcript from the degree-granting regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum of 32 semester hours, 19 of which are upper division, in a content area appropriate to the academic major and a 2.5 GPA in those 32 hours. Composite areas (English Language Arts, General Science, Mathematics and Social Studies) require at least one course in each main area of the broad teaching field, as required in traditional Class B programs.
Satisfactory performance on the Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program.
Information and registration for the AECTP (formerly APTTP) are available at http://www.act.org/alabamaectp.
Clear Alabama State Department of Education background check.
Information and registration for the ALSDE background check and fingerprinting sites are available at http://www.cogentid.com/alabama.
- Passing score on 1) Appropriate Content Knowledge Praxis II exam (see http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed/ for current Alabama state requirements specific to your content field)
AND 2) score on either MAT or GRE (including the Analytical writing section). Scores must be from exam taken within the last five years.
- Two recommendation forms attesting to your scholarship and/or professional abilities.
- Two page narrative on your career goals and purpose for graduate study.
Susan Ferguson Martin, Ph.D.
Secondary Program Coordinator
Ph: (251) 380-2797