Procedure to Apply
To apply to the University of South Alabama Honors Program, all of the following must be received by the University by the deadline date of December 2, 2016. Applications lacking any of the following will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed by the Honors Admission Committee. If you have already applied for admission, or have been admitted to the University of South Alabama, items 1-3 need not be resubmitted for the Honors Application.
- USA Admissions Application. Complete an application for admission to the University of South Alabama and submit it to the Office of Admissions with the non-refundable processing fee.
Applicants must be accepted to the University of South Alabama before they can apply
to the Honors Program.
- High School Transcript. Applicants must upload an unofficial copy of their high school transcript to their
Honors College/Whiddon Scholarship application in JagSPOT.
- ACT or SAT Scores. Request that your official ACT or SAT results be sent to the USA Office of Admissions.
- USA Honors Program Application. To apply to the USA Honors Program, you must access the Honors Program application through the JagSPOT portal -USA’s Scholarship Program Opportunity Tracker. To do so you will need your JAG Number (Student ID) and your JagNet/JagMail password/credentials which are assigned to you after you are admitted to the university. Use your Jag Number, and JagMail credentials to log-in to the JagSPOT Portal. For more information on the JagSPOT portal, please visit the Office of Scholarship Services web site at www.southalabama.edu/scholarships.
- Two Letters of Recommendation. Letters may play a significant role in distinguishing between otherwise equally-qualified
students. Letter authors should be asked to specifically comment on your intellectual
capabilities and personal characteristics such as independent thinking, motivation,
creativity, and willingness to be academically challenged. Emphasize to your recommenders
that the letters should be received by the application deadline.
- Letters of recommendation and the student essay (below) should be submitted via the JagSPOT portal. Follow the instructions at JagSPOT to do so.
- Student Essay. Present your perspective on the topic below using relevant evidence and/or examples to support your position. The essay must be typed and must not exceed 500 words in length. Be sure to include your full name on your essay. Essays will be evaluated on the basis of:
- appropriateness of response to the topic
- development and support for your position
- focus and organization
- clarity and precision of ideas
- language fluency
- facility with conventions of standard written English (grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, and mechanics)
Essay Topic for Class of 2021 : Plastic
You may interpret this term however you wish. You may focus on dominant or alternate meanings for this term, or a combination of these.
Students must also participate in an interview with the Honors Admissions Committee if selected for final consideration.
Note: All applications must be received through JagSPOT no later than 11:59 p.m. on December 2, 2016. The application in JagSPOT will close at midnight. However, individuals writing recommendation letters may upload them to applications after the deadline. Please make sure your reference links are created in your application so that letters can be uploaded any time after the deadline.