GoToWebinar Procedures for USA
GoToWebinar is an online presentation tool built for delivering online seminars to a maximum of 500 participants. This service is best suited for one or two presenters who control all of the content, while attendees are limited to observation with the ability to ask questions via text chat.
The ILC provides access to GoToWebinar for all academic units within the University
of South Alabama. Departments have two choices for webinar moderation: self-moderated
and ILC-moderated. Departments where faculty/staff are comfortable with the GoToWebinar
interface are encouraged to self-moderate their webinars. Those that are not yet comfortable
with the interface should request ILC-moderated webinars. Moderators control all functions
of the webinar, and may assign other attendees the role of presenter.
How to Schedule GoToWebinar with the ILC
Departments wishing to use GoToWebinar should submit requests through the online submission form, found at the bottom of this page. A Google calendar will be made available to easily check availability of the GoToWebinar service. That calendar can be found at (we will provide the url when available).
Data elements collected from the form include:
- Date of Webinar
- Topic of Webinar
- Organizer contact info (name, telephone, email)
- Will the dept need an organizer from ILC, or will they self-moderate?
- Number of expected attendees
A Confirmation email will be sent from the ILC to the organizer once the webinar request
has been approved.
Organizer Instructions (for Department-moderated use)
Once a department’s request has been confirmed, login credentials for the organizer role can be obtained by contacting the ILC staff member assigned to the webinar. This information will be found in the reservation confirmation email. Once this information is received, it is recommended the organizer give a trial run to become familiar with the GoToWebinar interface.
Guides on connecting and organizing webinars can be found at http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToWebinar/documents .
__ Schedule (date, time, topic)
__ Promote (registration report, custom invitations, reminders, follow-up)
__ Practice trial run
__ Webinar Follow-up
Best Practices for Presenters
- Turn off any instant-messaging applications, notification software, or other programs that may interrupt or distract from the meeting.
- Turn off any streaming media applications that may take up bandwidth and resource-intensive applications that may be taxing processor ability.
- Use a USB headset to prevent echoing or background noise.
- Clean up your desktop before a meeting.
- Eliminate wallpaper and icons that may distract your attendees.
- Have the documents you wish to share ready to be accessed in one or two clicks.
- Encourage students to submit questions ahead of time.
- Send an announcement to students with brief information about the lecture/meeting objectives.
- Stop to review questions submitted via chat.
Documentation on using GoToWebinar is provided by Citrix, at the following link: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToWebinar/documents