Alternative Master Program in Special Education
Alternative Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Collaborative Teaching
The alternative master’s program prepares individuals who have an undergraduate degree but do not have any type of teacher certification. Students choose elementary (K-6) or secondary (6-12) areas of specialization.
The alternative Master of Education program in Special Education leads to a Master of Education (M.Ed.) in special education. This 42-hour program prepares individuals without previous training in education to be special education teachers. The coursework can be completed entirely online, however some of the courses are also offered with portions online or on campus. There are practicum and student teaching requirements where students will be in K-12 settings with students with disabilities. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class A, K-6 or 6-12 Collaborative Teacher Certificate.
Admission Requirements Alternative M.Ed. Program
- Application and all supporting documents must be received prior to the semester of entry deadline. Application and semester deadlines are available at https://southalabama.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended since high school, regardless of whether credit was earned.
- A grade-point average of at least 2.75 (A=4.0) documented on the official transcript from the degree-granting regionally accredited institution.
- Satisfactory performance on the Core Academic Skills for Educators tests (Core). Information and registration for the Core (formerly Alabama Educator Certification Testing Program - AECPT) are available at http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed.
- Clear Alabama State Department of Education background check. Information and registration for the ALSDE background check and fingerprinting sites are available here.
- Passing score on
- 1) Appropriate Content Knowledge Praxis II exam (see http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed/ for current Alabama state requirements specific to your content field) AND
- 2) score on either MAT or GRE (including the Analytical writing section) and an academic major in the teaching field with adequate courses in composite areas for programs in General Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. Scores must be from exam taken within the last five years.
- Three recommendation forms completed through the online application.
- Two page narrative on your career goals and purpose for graduate study uploaded to online application.
- Resume uploaded to online application.
Abigail Baxter, Ph.D.
Ph: (251) 380-2767