Secondary Education M.Ed.
An advanced degree in secondary education gives you the opportunity to further your career as an expert in your field.
Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Secondary Education
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Secondary Education is a 30-hour program that provides advanced study for teachers who already hold a Class B certificate in their content area in English Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics, or General Science. Many of the courses are offered online or with options for meeting online or on campus. Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for the Class A, 6-12 Content Area Certificate.
- Application and all supporting documents must be received prior to the semester of entry deadline. Application and semester deadlines are available at http://www.southalabama.edu/admissions.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended since high school, regardless of whether credit was earned.
- Passing score on 1) Appropriate Content Knowledge Praxis II exam (see http://www.ets.org/praxis/al/al_teacher_ed/ for current Alabama state requirements specific to your content field)
OR 2) score on either MAT or GRE (including the Analytical writing section). Scores must be from exam taken within the last five years.
- Copy of valid Alabama Class B Professional Certificate in Appropriate Content Field, or in any field for the M.Ed. specific to ESOL certification.
- Two recommendation forms attesting to your scholarship and/or professional abilities.
- Two page narrative on your career goals and purpose for graduate study.