Planning Your Registration
For additional information, please contact the Office of the Registrar. New students should contact the Office of Admissions. Students with questions concerning fees or tuition should contact the Office of Student Accounting.
Planning Your Registration
Advising procedures vary by college and major. Check with your department to determine your advising requirements. Official Advising deadlines are in place for each semester, students should discuss course selections with advisors prior to that published deadline and should clear holds/blocks. Advising guidelines are available in the JagTraks Registration Guide.
See the Important Dates page for advising week.
To Register for classes each semester, students:
- Must be academically eligible (not suspended or dismissed),
- Must have an eligible student status (admitted, readmitted or continuing),
- Must not have any holds that would prevent registration, and
- Must have a time ticket specifying when to register for the upcoming semester. This information is available on PAWS.
To Register for classes each semester, students:
- Go to http://paws.southalabama.edu.
- Click Enter Secure Area, and then login. (See Logging Into PAWS for the First Time if you need more information about your login.)
- Click Student Services and Financial Aid.
- Click Registration.
- Click Check Your Registration Status.
- Select the appropriate term (semester), and click the Submit button.
- Your Time Ticket. Look for the message "You may register during the following times."
If you have not been assigned a time ticket, you will see the message: "As of this
time, your Registration Time Ticket has not been assigned." Students without a time
ticket should contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.
Note: You will notice that your time ticket does not tell you what part of Registration your time frames are for. To see if your time frames refer to Continuing/Readmitted Student or New Student Registration, or Late Registration, Drop/Add, or the Drop Period, compare them to the dates listed on the University Calendar.
- Your Holds Status. You will either see a check mark with the message: "You have no Holds which prevent registration," or you will see a caution symbol with the message: "You have Holds which prevent your registration." If you have holds, click the 'View Holds' link at the bottom of the page to see the holds on your file. You must clear the holds before you can register.
- Your Academic Standing. You will either see a check mark with the message: "Your Academic Standing permits registration," or you will see a caution symbol with the message: "Your Academic Standing prevents registration." Contact the Registrar's Office if you have questions regarding your academic standing.
- Your Student Status. You will either see a check mark with the message: "Your Student Status permits registration," or you will see a caution symbol with the message: "Your Student Status prevents registration." Contact the Registrar's Office for assistance if your student status prevents registration.
- If these four items permit registration and if you have met your advising requirements, you are eligible to register.
Summer Course Registration Planner
|Class Periods||Full Term||Short Term|
|Monday - Friday||Monday - Friday|
|Period 1||8:00 - 8:55||8:00 - 9:55|
|Period 2||9:10 - 10:05||10:20 - 12:15|
|Period 3||10:20 - 11:15||12:40 - 2:35|
|Period 4||11:30 - 12:25||3:00 - 4:55|
|Period 5||12:40 - 1:35|
|Period 6||1:50 - 2:45|
|Period 7||3:00 - 3:55|
|Period 8||4:10 - 5:05|
Fall Course Registration Planner
Holds are placed on student accounts and are cleared by various University offices. Some holds will prevent registration and must be cleared by the sponsoring office or department before the student will be permitted to register. Students who are changing their major should request their new major department to remove any advising block placed on their account by the prior department.
Holds that prevent registration will also prevent dropping courses. Students with registration holds will need to come to the Registrar's Office for assistance with dropping a course.
You must conduct your initial login the first time you access the secure area of PAWS. This is similar to creating a user account and will not have to be repeated..
- Go to the PAWS main menu at http://paws.southalabama.edu.
- Click "Enter Secure Area."
- Type your Jag Number into the User ID block. New students will be provided a Jag Number by the Office of Admissions. Type the letter "J" and use numeric zeros when typing your Jag Number.
- Type your date of birth into the PIN block. Format your date of birth as a 6-digit number (MMDDYY). Do not use slashes (/) or dashes (-) or spaces in your birthday.
- Click the "Login" button. The PIN Code Verification page will display.
- Type your birthday again in the Re-enter Old PIN block.
- Type a new 6-digit number in the New PIN block. Your new PIN code must be a 6-digit number. You cannot use letters or characters. You cannot reuse your date of birth (MMDDYY).
- Retype your new 6-digit number in the Re-enter new PIN block.
- Click the "Login" button. The Login Verification Security Question and Answer page will display, providing the opportunity for you to choose one of the security questions provided by PAWS.
- Type the answer to your question into the Answer block.
- Repeat this process twice more, setting up a total of three security questions.
- Click the "Submit" button. PAWS will welcome you to the information system.
The PAWS login page will continue to display instructions for conducting initial logins; however, for subsequent logins, use your new PIN Code (not your date of birth) to enter the secure area.
Please refer to the PAWS Login Tips section for more information. If you need assistance with your PAWS login, contact the Office of the Registrar.
Forgot Pin (Security Question/Answer)
The Forgot PIN login option allows you to access PAWS by using the three Security Questions/Answers you created earlier instead of using your PIN Code. Type your Jag number into the User ID block, and then click 'Forgot PIN.' The Login Verification Security Question and Answer page will display the security questions. Type your answers exactly the way you did originally and then click 'Submit Answer.' You will be required to change your PIN Code and will be admitted to the secure area. To protect your privacy, you and only you should know the answer to your questions.
Authorization Failure - Invalid User ID or PIN
PAWS will display the error message, "Authorization Failure - Invalid User ID or PIN" only when an incorrect Jag number and/or PIN Code is submitted. Check the format of your Jag number and your PIN Code and try again.. You are encouraged to use your Forgot PIN login option before your account is disabled. PAWS will disable your login after 5 unsuccessful login attempts.
Your Web Access Has Been Disabled
After five unsuccessful login attempts, PAWS will display the message, "Your Web access has been disabled." You must have your login reset before you can access the PAWS secure area. If you have been given the opportunity to set up your three security questions from the five provided by the system, you may call the Registrar's Office and provide the answers to your three questions. If the system verifies your answers, the staff member will reset your PIN so you can return to the login page and create a new PIN. If you have not created your three security questions, your login can be reset by submitting a completed PAWS PIN Reset Request Form to the Registrar's Office during business hours along with a valid photo ID with signature (Drivers License, State Non-driver ID, or Passport). If you are unable to go to the Registrar's Office during business hours, you may fax the completed request form with a photocopy of your valid ID with signature to (251) 460-7738, Attention PAWS Help or you may scan your form and ID and email it to email@example.com. Reset of PAWS PIN Codes will be made within one business day. Once your PIN has been reset, follow the instructions for an initial login. During this process, you will be given the opportunity to set up the three security questions. If you continue to need assistance after that time, contact the PAWS Help Desk at (251) 460-6251, Option 3.
To Login After Reset
Once your login has been reset, try to login using your Jag number and your birthday code (MMDDYY) as your temporary PIN Code, and then click 'Login.' A new page will display, telling you, "Your PIN has expired. Please change it now." Type your birthday code as your old PIN, then type a new 6-digit number as your new PIN Code. Re-type the new PIN to confirm your selection, then click 'Login.' PAWS will welcome you to the information system. If you continue to experience difficulty logging into PAWS, call the Registration Hotline, (251) 460-6251, during business hours.
Each semester, you will be assigned a personal time ticket that specifies when you can access PAWS to register for the approaching semester. You must have a time ticket to register or to drop classes. Refer to the Time Tickets section on the Important Dates page to find out when time tickets will be posted to students' PAWS accounts. If you do not receive a time ticket, contact Registration, (251) 460-6251. During the Drop Period, you cannot add classes, you can only drop. Note: Some students will not automatically receive a time ticket.
Candidates for graduation: If you applied for graduation, you will not receive a time ticket for the semester after your anticipated graduation. If you are a candidate for graduation and need to register for classes for the semester after your anticipated graduation, contact a graduation specialist in the Office of the Registrar for assistance.
Transient students: If you are attending USA as a transient student, you will not receive a time ticket for the next semester unless you are accepted for readmission for that semester. This requires that you submit an application for readmission to the Office of Admissions. See Readmission for more details.
Inactive students: If you were suspended or dismissed from the University, or if you have not attended for three or more consecutive semesters, you will not receive a time ticket for the next semester unless you are accepted for readmission for that semester. This requires that you submit an application for readmission to the Office of Admissions. See Readmission for more details.
New students who have not been formally admitted: If you are a new student, you will not be assigned a time ticket until after you have been formally admitted to the University by the Office of Admissions. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information.
To find your time ticket:
- Log into the secure area of PAWS.
- Select "Student Services & Financial Aid."
- Select "Registration."
- Select "Check Your Registration Status."
- Select the semester you want to view then click the "Submit" button.
- Look for the words "You may register during the following times." Your time ticket will be listed just below those words.
Each line is a separate time frame with specific beginning and ending dates and times. Registration transactions (adds, drops, etc.) must be completed before the end time for each time frame, or the transaction will be lost.