Commencement: Graduating Students
Please make sure you receive your final degree audit or check sheet from your College Advisor. You may also view your degree audit by selecting the link below.
Join us during the commencement ceremony as we celebrate and recognize the academic achievements of our graduates!
USA has commencement ceremonies in Spring and Fall semesters. Summer candidates participate in the Spring commencement ceremony with the exception of doctoral candidates. Summer Doctoral candidates will have their degrees conferred at the Fall commencement ceremony. Participation in the exercises does not mean that degree requirements have been completed or that academic honors have been awarded.
To determine which ceremony to attend and view a seating map, visit Commencement Ceremony Lay Out.
All participants must wear academic regalia ordered online through USA BOOKSTORE. This order will create the student's lineup card which must be presented to the reader during the commencement ceremony. Students who do not order a gown through the USA Bookstore, will not have a lineup card.
Academic regalia - cap, gown and graduate-level hoods - can be picked up on campus at the Student Center Room 212, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday of the week of the Commencement Ceremony.
On the day of the Commencement Ceremony (Saturday), academic regalia will be available for pick-up in Room 1125 in the HKS Building.
After the Commencement Ceremony, the gown must be returned to the USA BOOKSTORE representative in the HKS Building, Room 1125. Graduate-level hoods must be returned with the gown.
Financial holds will be placed on accounts of students who do not return their academic regalia.
Order your announcements online at USA BOOKSTORE!
1. Give your valuables (purse, cell phone, etc.) to family or friends or secure them in your car.
2. Enter the HKS West Gym one (1) hour before the Commencement Ceremony and pick up your lineup card. If you are eligible for honors, you will be given your honor cord when you receive your lineup card.
3. DO NOT LOSE YOUR LINEUP CARD. It must be presented to the reader on stage.
4. Students with names that might be difficult to pronounce should see the readers table stationed behind the lineup card tables.
5. Line up in your group number. It is listed on the front of your card and the group numbers are posted in numerical order across the front of the gym. After finding the correct group number get in line by college (each college has a different color card) and then by your Lineup #. At the designated time the student marshals will begin ensuring the correct line up order.
6. At the appropriate time, student marshals will lead the student processional from the gym to the Mitchell Center.
7. Inside the Mitchell Center you will be directed to your seat by the student marshals and Registrar Office Staff.
8. Marshals will direct you to the stage at the appropriate time. You must bring your card with you to the stage. If you forget or lose your card do not panic. Stop at the card table at the bottom of the ramp and a Registrar's Office staff member will give you a duplicate card.
9. Go up the ramp, hand your card to the Registrar's Office staff member. When your name is called proceed across the stage. You will shake your Dean's hand and receive your diploma cover. You will continue across the stage and shake the President's hand and exit the stage.
10. Follow the marshals instructions and return to your seat.
11. After processing out of the Mitchell Center return your robe to HKS 1125 and have your name checked off by the Bookstore representative.
The major professor and the doctoral candidate should report to the HKS – East Gymnasium by the times listed on the Commencement Dates and College List for each ceremony.
The doctoral candidate will line up in Group 1 and their major professor will follow the student into the Mitchell Center arena. The professors will carry their candidate’s hood.
As the doctoral candidate processes to the stage, their major professor will follow. Both the student and their professor will move halfway between the podium and the Dean of the Graduate School at which time the professor hoods the graduate. The student, followed by the major professor, will move forward and shake hands with the Dean of the Graduate School, the President, the respective dean and the University Trustees. The student and major professor will exit the stage and return to their seats.
Tentative honors, based on the student's academic record through the end of the last term completed, will appear in the printed commencement program. Final official honors will be computed after all grades are processed at the end of the term for the last term of attendance, and will appear on the student's diploma and transcript.
Undergraduate students who have at least 60 GPA hours in residence with a grade point average of 3.50 or better at the University of South Alabama are graduated with distinction. Transfer credit hours are not included in the determination of academic honors. Academic honors are not awarded for graduate degrees or professional degrees.
Cum Laude 3.50 - 3.69
Magna Cum Laude 3.70 - 3.89
Summa Cum Laude 3.90 - 4.00
Academic honor cords will be presented when the student receives their lineup card. Cords and stoles from various student organizations may be worn during the commencement ceremony. Students must contact their organization for availability and pick up information.
Attire: Men should wear dark slacks, collared shirt, tie, dark socks and dark shoes. Women should wear any colored top, dark pants or skirt or a dark dress. Secure your wallet or purse inside your vehicle or with your guests. Wear shoes that are comfortable.
The white collar, included with the gown, is worn only with the bachelor’s gown. Tassels are worn on the right side of the mortarboard (cap) before the degree is conferred. You may need to bring bobby pins and/or safety pins with you to the ceremony.
Graduate or professional level students, with the exception of Ph.D. candidates wear their hoods. The major professor for each Ph.D. candidate carries their candidate's hood in the processional and will hood the student during the ceremony.
Ceremony Etiquette: Smoking and drinking of alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the HKS Building and the Mitchell Center. Valuables should not be brought into the HKS Building or the Mitchell Center. Please arrange to leave purses, cameras and other personal items with family or friends. All cell phones must be turned off during the ceremony. The ceremony staff may conduct bag checks/security checkpoints at public entrances to eliminate air horns and secure against firearms. Please do not bring these items to the ceremony. It is important that each candidate receive recognition so be mindful that excessive and prolonged cheering and applause can drown out the name and the moment for the next candidate. Please be considerate.
Degree candidate parking is reserved in the lot behind the Mitchell College of Business on Jaguar Drive. Admittance to the HKS is for graduating students only.
The undergraduate and graduate diplomas are 11” (wide) by 8 ½” (high). Doctoral candidate’s diplomas are 15” (wide) by 12” (high).
Diplomas will be mailed to the diploma mailing address listed on your graduation application. If corrections are needed, you must complete and return the Diploma Mailing Address Change Form to the Registrar's Office by the posted deadline. After the deadline, you must contact the Registrar's Office (251-460-6251 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to make any changes. Changing your mailing address on PAWS does not update your diploma mailing address. Your diploma will not be sent if you have any outstanding financial obligations to the University. You can check your PAWS account for any holds. Once the holds are cleared, contact the Registrar's Office and your diploma will be sent. Diplomas will be mailed approximately 2-4 weeks after the commencement ceremony. Diplomas are shipped by the United States Postal Service and tracking of the package is not available. The diploma mailer may not fit into your mail box so the USPS may leave a slip in the box and the student will have to go to the local post office location to pick up the diploma. Please be aware that the post office may not deliver a student’s diploma if their name is not listed on the lease in an apartment complex.
Duplicate or Replacement Diplomas
To order a duplicate diploma complete and return the Duplicate/Replacement Diploma Order Form to the Registrar's Office (University of South Alabama, Registrar's Office, 390 Alumni Circle, Suite 1100, Meisler Hall, Mobile, AL 36688). Please include the $25.00 processing fee.
To replace a damaged diploma complete and return the Duplicate/Replacement Diploma Order Form to the Registrar's Office (University of South Alabama, Registrar's Office, 390 Alumni Circle, Suite 1100, Meisler Hall, Mobile, AL 36688). Please include the $25.00 processing fee. The original diploma must also be returned.