Innovation in General Education Award, 2018-2019
The award is given in recognition of innovative and effective pedagogy in teaching a general education course or courses.
Any full-time or part-time faculty member who is teaching one or more General Education courses is eligible. An individual may receive the award once every three years.
A list of required and recommended supporting materials is attached. It is recommended that the department chair, a senior faculty member, or the nominator assist the nominee in preparation of these materials.
The Innovation in General Education Award is accompanied by a cash prize of $1500.00, subject to the availability of funds, at the sole discretion of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and will be paid out of an account designated by the Dean which is not funded by appropriations from the State of Alabama. All cash awards will be subject to regular payroll withholding taxes and will be made through the normal payroll process.
An individual may receive only one award (teaching, scholarship, service, and advising) per academic year. If an individual is nominated for more than one award, s/he should decide which award s/he wants to be considered for and submit materials in support of that nomination only.
Selection of Recipients
The selection of award recipients will be made by the General Education Committee, based upon recommendations from the Awards Subcommittee.
Nominations for each award may be submitted by full-time or part-time faculty members, staff, and students of the University of South Alabama.
Submit nominations via email to: Philip Carr (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair, General Education Committee. All nominations are due by 5:00 p.m., February 28th, 2019.
Nominee’s Supporting Materials
Submit all supporting materials to:
Philip Carr, Chair, General Education Committee
Office, HUMB 118, College of Arts and Science, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688.
All supporting materials are due by 5:00 p.m., April 5, 2019.
This award is given in recognition of innovative and effective pedagogy in teaching a General Education course or courses. Supporting materials should aid the General Education Awards Subcommittee in determining the quality of the nominee’s innovation and teaching performance relative to other faculty in who teach General Education courses.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy, discussion of the particular innovation in teaching general education course/courses, and evidence of the effectiveness of that innovation
- Letter of support from the faculty member’s chairperson, which also includes comments on the relative performance of the nominee compared to other faculty in the department. (If the nominee is a department chair, a letter of support from an associate or full professor in the nominee’s department may be substituted)
- Relevant student evaluations of teaching
- Samples of syllabus, assignments, handouts, and presentations as appropriate
- Supporting letters from students and colleagues
- Other relevant material
The nominee’s materials as well as all letters of support should emphasize the following:
- Innovations in teaching approach
- Excellence in student learning outcomes
- Quality of teaching activities
All materials should be submitted in a loose-leaf binder with labeled tabs between sections. A table of contents indicating included materials will be helpful. The binder should be labeled on the spine with the nominee’s name.